Howard is a partner, patent attorney, and board certified specialist in intellectual property law at Sand, Sebolt and Wernow. His practice is limited exclusively to intellectual property law. Particularly, he focuses on patent preparation and prosecution, trademark counseling, and copyright law and related litigation, as well as intellectual property licensing and technology transfers.
Howard counsels clients ranging from a Fortune 500 company to individual entrepreneurs, however most of his clients are middle-market companies and research institutions. He helps clients develop strategic intellectual property by drafting well-crafted patent applications. He has drafted patents relating to weapons and missile systems, propulsion systems, spacecraft electrical networks, laser amplification systems, antenna communication networks, LIDAR sensing systems, semiconductor fabricators, mobile applications, computers software, heavy machinery, and a variety of consumer products, amongst many others.
He does his best to carefully consult with every client to ensure that their patent application(s) accurately details and covers the invention. This is important because drafting a patent application is extremely complicated. The United States Supreme Court has even stated that a patent application “constitute[s] one of the most difficult legal instruments to draw with accuracy.”
Howard utilizes a practical approach in an attempt to resolve disputes, however he understands the necessity to enforce and defend intellectual property. His litigation practice extends throughout the Country. Howard has been both lead plaintiff’s counsel and lead defense counsel in multiple federal patent litigation suits which resulted in favorable settlements to his clients.
Howard keeps an active international intellectual property practice. He counsels companies from around the world on United States patent and trademark law and has clients from the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia.
Outside the office, he enjoys spending time with his family, serving on community boards, and watching college football. He is an avid watch collector and is always willing to discuss his horological interests.
- The University of Akron School of Law Juris Doctorate
- University of Florida Bachelor of Science, Agricultural & Biological Engineering
Admitted to Practice
- Supreme Court of Florida
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Court – Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court – Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court – Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court – Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court – Southern District of Florida
- United States Court of Appeals – Sixth Circuit
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Cleveland Intellectual Property Law Association
- Akron Bar Association
- Stark County Bar Association
- Beta Theta Pi